Funkadelic Astronaut is a New Jersey-based Funktronica quartet. High school friends Ryan Gavin (Keyboards) and Kevin O’Neill (Drums) founded the group in 2013. Soon after, close friend Matt Mautone (Guitar) joined the band full time. For the next few years the band went through numerous lineup changes fluctuating between a 3 piece and a 5 piece. In the summer of 2015 Kevin McKay became the band’s full time Bass playing solidifying the group as 4 piece. Finally in 2017, Sam Luba joined the band replacing Kevin McKay as the bass player.
The band is known for their heavy improvisational style: mixing compositions with extended jam sections, never playing a song the same way twice. Drawing on inspirations from classic funk bands and present day electronica, Funkadelic Astronaut blends the best of both worlds to provide a unique sound that they call “Funktronica”.
Listeners are taken on a journey through intricate, groovy, and tight compositions as well as organic, flowing, and high energy jams. One can’t help but to bust out their favorite dance moves and be launched into pure present bliss.
The band’s mission is to move bodies and open third eyes, wherever they go. The music is high energy and laden with satisfying grooves. As a listener one can’t help but to bust out their favorite dance moves and be launched into pure present bliss.
In Spring of 2018, the band released their first EP as a 3 piece: Magrathea.
Funkadelic Astronaut has had the fortune to play festivals and venues such as:
- Satellite Ranch Music and Arts Festival 2017
- Mad Liberation Festival 2017
- Froggy Daze 6 Music Festival 2017
- Rock and Roll Resort 2016
- House of Independents (with The New Deal) 2016
- Creative Being 2015, Vernon NJ
- Late Winter Jibber Jam 2015
- Carpe Noctem Music Festival 2014
- Fam Jamily Festival 2014
- F.A.R.M. Music and Arts Festival 2014
- May Day Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Court Tavern, New Brunswick NJ
- Triumph Brewery, New Hope PA